Our Family

Our Family

Monday, September 8, 2008

Home Improvement Update

I went to the Homeowner Orientation last Thursday. It went well. They explained the program and how the financial part of it works and what improvements they make. So basically the max amount of money you are allowed is $50,000. Then the total amount is divided in half. One half is due upon the sale of the home--no interest or payments! It just sits there until the house is sold. The other half decreases 10% every year for 10 years. So we get all these improvements done and it doesn't cost us a dime until we sell our house. And even then, the value of our house is increased by all of these improvements by at least the amount we spend! So it's a win/win situation for us! When it's all done, it will be like having a new house!! I'm SOOO excited!!!
Tomorrow morning I will turn in the information they need. Then they will give me a list of General Contractors to choose 4 from. I'm going to be researching them carefully before making my choice. I will also be asking friends and family if they know anyone on the list.
Because our house is more than 45 years old, we have to get approval from the state historical something or other and also we have to have a lead-based paint test done too. They said those things usually take about 4-6 weeks. Then we will have the 4 chosen contractors come through the house to write up a bid. A couple weeks after that, we will get the 4 bids and choose the best one. THEN they will start the work. They suggested that we clear out our house and just have the bare necessities until the work is all completed. It will just make it easier for the subcontractors to work when there's not a lot of stuff everywhere. So we are going to start downsizing, which will make us feel free from "stuff!" I'll update you as things progress and hopefully time will go by fast! I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas--it seems like forever away!! :)

2 comments:

The Paynes said...

Wow, that'll be awesome. Too bad we didn't get in on that before we remodeled our house! And your rental is so nice. I'm jealous, even though I love my Honda. But an 08 is way better! Enjoy it. You deserve something nice.

The Brereton Family! said...

I'll totally come and help you downsize if you want, I love organizing and getting rid of things! Yeah!!