Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Not a good day for me

So I was cleaning up the house this morning and I went in Jordan and Jocee's room, walked in about a step, scooped down to pick something up really quick, then turned around as I stood up quickly, thinking the doorway was there, and SMACK!!! I hit the corner of the crown molding around the doorway. It hurt so bad. I thought for sure I knocked a tooth out or broke my nose because I hit so hard. I put my hand on my face and saw blood. So I ran to get a napkin with ice and went to the bathroom to see the damage. I had a small gash above my lip and to the left. I wasn't sure if it needed stitches or not, but I did NOT want to go to urgent care and find out. So I kept ice on it for a long time to numb the pain. I started feeling like I was going to pass out, so I laid on the couch and Jocee came over and said, "Ohhh Mom, you got an ouchy? Well, who's gonna be your mom and take care of you because you have an ouchy?" Then she paused, gently put her hand under my chin, and said "Well, I guess I'll just be your mom and take care of you." She was sweet. So concerned for me. After looking it over in the mirror, I realized that it needed to be closed so it could heal. And I did not want a huge scar on my face. So I called and told Chad what happened but told him not to come home. I would call his mom to see if she could bring me some steri-strips to keep it together. Anyways, my sister-in-law came to my rescue and helped put the strips on for me. Well seeing as how I had to eat because I was feeling weak, it made the wound start to bleed again, so I had to painfully take them off and put on new ones myself. My mother-in-law called later to see how I was doing and insisted that I should go to urgent care and get stitches so I don't get a bad scar. She ended up calling the wife of an urgent care doctor that's in their stake and he said he'd take a look at it for me for free if I wanted to go in. So I went (I REALLY DID NOT WANT TO GET STITCHES!) and my sister went with me for support. He was really nice and easy to talk to. I told him what a baby I was and how I didn't want to take the strips off. So he looked at it and said "Wow! Whoever put the strips on did a great job! Who did it for you?" I was like, "Umm, I did!" He was quite impressed with my skills. :) Then he said I could either keep them on for 4 days and not get them wet or dirty while the skin heals or I could take off the strips so he could see how deep the cut was and either stitch it up or glue it up. I agreed to let him see the cut if he let ME take off the strips slowly and carefully. He agreed. So anyways, he ended up "Dermabond-ing" me back together. It burned SO bad for quite some time. He was shocked that it was still burning me for so long. I think because part of the cut may have gone all the way through and so it was just going deeper down the cut. I have a fat top lip, a cut inside my mouth which makes it hard to eat, and purple glue stuck on my face. And of course, no camera to document it all. My sister did take a few pictures with her phone, but I don't have them yet. When I do, I'll post them. So that was my crappy day. I had a pounding headache most of the day too! Did I mention I also have a cold coming on too? Chad's at the store right now buying cold medicine for me. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

4 comments:

Home said...

Oh, you poor thing! I wish I could be there to help. :( I'm glad you didn't have to get stitches, but it sounds so painful...hope you heal quickly! Erica

Home said...

Oh, you poor thing! I wish I could be there to help. :( I'm glad you didn't have to get stitches, but it sounds so painful...hope you heal quickly! Erica

The Paynes said...

You could have called me! I would have come over to help you! Silly girl! Oh, and I do stuff like that all the time and I get so mad at myself for it. OUCH!

Natalie said...

Im so glad someone professional was able to look at it for you! That is one nasty cut! Its totally something I would do too! Any time you need help with something like that - something like that being anything you need someone for in a jiffy! - please dont hesitate to call me! I am MORE than willing to help out a sister in need! :) Take care of yourself, and please post pictures of the purple goop when you get them. :) Love ya!