Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Big Surprise

The City of Mesa has a housing rehabilitation program designed to improve the livability of a home, to extend its life for a minimum of 10 years, and to meet the current minimum building codes. You have to qualify for the program and you are put on a waiting list. We got put on the list before Callie was born and she is now 13 months old!! So after much waiting, the inspector finally came to my house today!!!! I couldn't believe it!! We didn't have an appointment or anything so I was lucky I was home when they showed up. Anyways, he walked through the whole house and even went in the back and side yard. Here's the list of things/items that we talked about getting fixed/replaced. (NOTE: I know there's a budget for each home they do so I'm not completely sure that everything on the list will be done but I will be SOOOO happy with any improvements that are made!)
Here's the preliminary list:
--Fresh paint on the outside
--Block fence in the back and on one side--an RV gate on the other side
--Concrete poured on the side of the house for an extended driveway
--Re-wire the whole house and new electrical panel outside & relocate some so we can get c-fans!:)
--New windows
--New outside doors (3)
--New A/C unit
--New insulation (I think ductwork too, can't remember)
--New water heater and relocate to outside
--New kitchen cabinets and countertops (added cabinet space next to the fridge and extended countertop under the window--hopefully!)
--New refrigerator
--New stove
--Whole makeover for hall bath (tub surround, toilet, sink vanity, and medicine cabinet) Some of the lovely pink tiles finally fell off and the drywall behind it is totally rotted. I'm thinking there might be a leak or something.
--Same for master (I think--I had to change a diaper while they were discussing it so I'm not quite for sure)
--New closet doors in master (they broke so we took them off completely and currently have a decorative curtain), and in all the other rooms as well

I can't believe all of that!!!! It feels so surreal. Of course I don't want to get too excited about it until I see it in writing and things start to happen. But seriously, if only 2 of those items listed get done, I'd be so happy. We just can't afford to make any of those costly improvements. When we first bought our house we always had dreams of doing upgrades to it but we just haven't been able to afford doing any of them. So to have some things done and we don't have to pay is amazing. Of course there are guidelines that we have to follow....I don't have them in front of me but I believe the money that is spent is considered a "loan." If we were to sell our house in the next either 3 or 5 years (can't remember exact time), we would have to repay the loan. But if we stay in our home for longer than that period of time, we do not have to pay back the loan. We aren't planning on moving anytime soon so I think we will be okay! Plus, once all of those improvements are made, it will be like having a new house and we didn't have to move out of the city!! So now we just have to wait for the permits and he said it would probably take about 4 weeks. Hopefully it goes by fast!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

That is so cool! I can't wait to see it after you get things done the way you want!

The Brereton Family! said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be so awesome, I so hope you get more than 2 things done. I'm happy for you, keep us posted.

Hayley said...

That is great news!!! You are going to feel like you are in a brand new house.

Stoddard Studios said...

NO WAY!!! THAT IS SO AWESOME!!! I really hope you get all those things repaired. That would be amazing!!!